Monday 30 December 2013

The most brutal obstacles in the Spartan Race (that I have encountered)

From my experience of the 2013 Spartan Beast in London, the toughest really was the combination of obstacles, running, cold (4 degrees Celsius), freezing water and rain! However, below is the list of the toughest obstacles encountered during both the 2012 and 2013 Spartan Beasts London.

1 - Swimming in freezing water
Obstacle: Cross a river

This obstacle came as a shock! Throughout the race all the water obstacles could be crossed by walking however, once we jumped in this one, the water was too deep to walk. Once in the water, and once you notice the depth of the water there is a glimpse of panic that attacks!


2 - Monkey bars
Obstacle: Cross this long monkey bars without falling in water

This obstacle is particularly difficult because of it's length. Whilst there, I have noticed that few contender where able to complete the challenge. I myself was only able to go halfway before dropping in water. I had to do the 30 burpees.


3 - Huge rope climb
Obstacle: Climb a c.8m rope

After the 25k run + 69 obstacles, we needed to climb a huge rope! with soar and cold muscle this was simply too challenging and I opted for the 30 burpees! No need to break a leg at the last obstacle!



4 - Bear crawl in ice cubes and mud
Obstacle: Perform a bear crawl in muddy water filled with ice cubes

This obstacle was one that impacted me most and i consider it the point where the race "turned" for me (From a great day to a bit of a struggle). This is mainly because my feet got from cold to FREEZING and i could not get them warm anymore in the race!


5 - Javelin throw
Obstacle: Throw the javelin on the target - it has to stick!

I find this obstacle to be one of the hardest because you only get one chance! In the two years i have do the Spartan Race, I have not managed to succeed! be prepared to do the 30 burpees.

No comments:

Post a Comment